This is the most thought provoking article which I am writing in my blog. Thing is I am very much confused by the move of these companies and the blame game they are playing with each other.
Before going into the description, let me point out few things which were making lot of noise in the tech industry
- Launch of iPad - No support for Flash.
- Apple calling Adobe "Lazy" for not developing good flash version.
- Adobe blaming apple for not supporting them.
- Google Reaching out support for HTML 5 in chrome and Chrome OS.
- Google announcing the integration and support of flash in Android phones.
- Problems and loopholes in the current flash version.
- Emergence of "HTML5" as the future of web browsing
- Adobe Tech Expert saying that HTML5 will take web browsing to "dark ages of web"
- Adobe announcing the launch of Adobe AIR for mobile version and its sleek UI which is captivation in MWC.
- Emergence of Silverlight as a sole competitor to flash.
- Microsoft announcing support of Flash in their new Windows Mobile 7.
Now all this things will make you wonder, what the heck is happening??
Thing is very clear. The tech giants Google, Microsoft and Apple are doing what ever they can do to target the smartphone market. Now this market consists of a flash which owns around 90% of share. Most of the web sites and web videos run on flash files which make the OS to make sure that it supports Flash.
Apple is confused now after the initial launch of iPad as it got lot of criticism from public as it did not supported Flash. Now after the current moves, they are very much eager to find some alternative which will make sure that the customers do not get a wrong notion about their future product line. Also they are wondering whether they can enhance the support of HTML5 before something goes wrong.
Apple, whatever you do, you have to do it very fast.
Google is playing smart in this issue of Flash support. By announcing the support of Flash in their android phone, they have directly targeted iPad and Apple market. Also they are indirectly telling Apple to stop developing new features for html5.
Side by side, they are starting to develop the robust html5 support for their upcoming web based Chrome OS. They will enhance support for html5 rather than getting into line of fire by rejecting Flash support.
Scrape Goat Adobe???
Adobe is from my perspective the loser in all the happenings going on in this scenario. Why because I have a list of reasons to tell
- Firstly, adobe has already captured the market and has occupied the market share with flash based websites and videos. They just have to make sure that they retains that market rather than losing it. So there is not much scope of improvement
- Flash is the most important threat and its the prime target by the hackers in web site.
- The growth of competitors like Silverlight and Html 5 has created lot of problems for flash.
Now its adobe which has to take some smart decisions to make sure that this will be resolved and they will make sure that the dependency of flash continues in the future or else they will be in trouble.
Sorry to say this Mr Ballmer, but you are going to make a mistake. I might not be the right person. But imagine you are trying to save a sinking ship by assaulting your own product. Now you have to choose which is the soft target you are choosing to make sure that other will be a winner. You have made your decision. Your target is Silverlight and your hero is Windows Mobile 7. Now to save windows mobile and to gain control over your (Sinking) smartphone market, you had to take this decision. I can understand but why to kill poor Silverlight. Hopefully, someday, you will understand that you might have made a mistake by promoting Flash rather than Silverlight.
So lets see what is going to happen more in the future. Its only time which will say what will happen.
Keep reading my blog and do follow me on twitter.